Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Vocab: Fall List #9

bosom- close to the heart
Money is bosom of the family.

prudently- acting with or showing care and thought for the future.
Teachers always act prudently.

inveterate- habitually
I inveterate crack my knuckles.

propensity- likelihood; tendency
What is the propensity that the Eagles win the Superbowl?

repose- temporary rest from activity, excitement, or exertion.
Some people repose from sports.

stripling- youth
Show off your stripling.

sequester- to isolate
You have to sequester the infection.

apparition- a vision of something supernatural.
I have had an apparition.

purport- to intend
I purport to get good grades.

imbibed- drink in
Romeo imbibed the poison.

incessant- on going; nonstop
When my cat is hungry its meowing is incessant.

cognomen- dream like state; trance
Have you ever been in a cognomen?

gambol- frolic or play
Kids love to gambol.

spectre- ghost that you can see
I have never seen a spectre in real life.

tarry- to linger
People have a tendency to tarry.

[Hessian]- German soldier in the Civil War

No comments:

Post a Comment