Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Vocabulary: Fall List #3

encomium- speech or piece of writing that praises someone or something highly
The Bible is an encomium.

coherent- logical and consistent
Dr. Preston is coherent.

belabor- argue or elaborate in excessive detail
My sisters always belabor.

eschew- deliberately avoid using; abstain from
I try to eschew calculators.

acquisitive- excessively interested in collecting money or material things.
Mr. Krabs is acquisitive.

emulate- match or surpass, typically by imitation.
My friend tries to emulate my intelligence.

arrogate- take or claim for oneself, without justification.
The man tried to arrogate my wallet.

banal- so lacking in originality as to be obvious and boring
My cousin is banal.

excoriation- an abraded area where the skin is torn or worn off.
My shoe caused an excoriation on my foot.

congeal- solidify or coagulate esp. by cooling.
I congealed the water.

carping- difficult to please; critical
My teacher is carping.

substantiate- provide evidence to support or prove the truth of
The prosecutor couldn't substantiate that the gum was stolen.

temporize- avoid making a decision or committing oneself in order to gain time
Sometimes the president temporizes.

largesse- generosity in bestowing money or gifts upon others
Dispensing his money was such largesse.

tenable- able to be maintained or defended against attack or objection
Talk like that is no longer tenable.

insatiable- impossible to satisfy
That teacher is insatiable.

reconnaissance- preliminary surveying or research
Continue your reconnaissance.

germane- relevant to a subject under consideration
That is not germane to what we are talking about.

ramify- spread or branch out
The canal began to ramify.

intransigent- unwilling or refusing to change one's view or to agree about something
My parents intransigent people.

taciturn- reserved or uncommunicative in speech
The boy is taciturn.

invidious- likely to arouse or incur resentment or anger in others
My brother is invidious.






No comments:

Post a Comment